La Crosse Technology WT-3181PL-INT 18 inch Atomic Outdoor Clock with Temperature & Humidity

  • Works with 1 AA alkaline battery (not included) OR, additional battery
  • Radio controlled time
  • Indoor or outdoor use
  • Analog hygrometer & thermometer
  • 4 US time zone selectable

I’m using my clock indoors exclusively. I wanted an “atomic” clock that kept accurate time, was easy to read, could measure temp & humidity, & was made with metal, not plastic, surrounding the clock face. I have other LaCrosse technology clocks. Their digital clocks with temp sensors still work for time & indoor temp, but the outdoor temp sensors died within a few weeks of putting them outdoors (protected under the roof above our front door). That’s probably due to the high heat & humidity in the area of NC where we live. The only thing missing for me is a second hand. Anyway, the clock has everything else I wanted & it looks great on my livingroom wall.

I absolutely love this clock. We live in rural Tennessee and have a campsite in the back of our property in the woods. I was worried it wouldn't be able to pick up the signal but within minutes, it was working perfectly. Setup was super easy and it has been a great addition to our pavilion. Having the temperature and the hygrometer are just an added bonus. Today is the change from Daylight Savings time so am excited to see if it changes time on it's own. The dial is big and easy to read from anywhere in the campsite and the numbers are helping the grandkids learn to tell time (using an analog clock!) Plan to get another one for the back porch.

How well these clocks work is largely dependent on how well they receive their radio signal. In our case I unpacked it (it was very well packaged), put a battery in it, hung it on the wall by the pool and when I looked at it a short while later it was showing the correct time. The size and design of the dial makes it very easy to read at a distance. Some negative reviews suggest that its not weatherproof. The clock mechanism is behind a twist off cover; its certainly rainproof but obviously not waterproof. This is a piece of inexpensive consumer electronics so you have to use a bit of common sense about what environments you leave it outside in -- its not going to like mid-winter on the prairies, its not going to like sitting in the the full sun of a southwest summer and it probably shouldn't be sited where its in direct line for a Biblical deluge. (You can certainly buy clocks that will function in climatic extremes but I'd expect to pay a lot more than this one cost for one.)

I followed the instructions and had zero issues. Not sure why other people had problems. I read the instructions first and did exactly what it said to do. I placed my unit outside facing west-north-west (I live in Florida) and left it there over night. The next morning I checked it, flipped it to the Eastern time zone, and it had the correct time. I hung it outside on the house wall, under my pool deck cover, and it's been there ever since - no issues at all. The time is VERY easy to read from anywhere in the pool. The temperature and humidity are not so easy to read unless you get fairly close to it - but that doesn't matter much to me because I have multiple thermostats for the temperature and when you live in Florida, humidity is just something you always live with - so who really cares. I just wanted something for the time.

The first clock we received had to be returned because the second hand was "catching" on the hour hand. I absolutely hate the inconvenience of returning items, but this second clock is perfect. We have it on our covered deck so we can check time while outside and the other weather gauges are the real reason we selected this clock. We are very satisfied with the clock and the color is perfect. The return clock was shipped immediately and there was only two days difference between receiving the first clock and the second clock. Now, about the second clock, the package was opened and I made a visual inspection while the Fed Ex guy was delivering it to make sure it was ok before he left. The shipping department needs to do a better job of securing the box before shipping it.

This is without question the BEST outdoor clock I have ever purchased. I have run through numerous clocks that advertised their resistance to extreme heat or cold, and non of them came close to meeting their claims. I live in Dallas, TX and the heat in the summer time is constantly in the mid to upper 90s. The La Crosse clock has functioned flawlessly. Also, the temperature and barometric readings are always spot on. If you're looking for a reliable outdoor clock, this is the one to buy. RJC

I have this clock hanging outside on the side of my shed. It is somewhat protected from the weather as it is near the roof overhang. When I first put a battery in, the clock cycled round and round for a few moments then stopped and has been keeping perfect time ever since. Sets itself for daylight savings time. This is a very nice outdoor clock.

I bought is clock to put above my TV. It is a place where I need a ladder to reach to change the clock in the spring and fall, so I decided to try an atomic clock.It looks substantial and pretty with the thick silver rim. The numbers are large and easy to read. It was easy to set the clock and only took about 10 minutes for the time to set itself. I did have to press the time zone button again and the hands quickly reset to my time zone. There is a button on the back for setting daylight savings time so I will have to see if it sets correctly in the spring. There are also temperature and humidity dials on the face but since I am using it indoors, I don't need it. Overall, I really like this clock and am happy that I purchased it. If there was anything I would change, it would be to add a second hand.

First clock that arrived was defective. If the hands don't go to 12, 4 or 8 o'clock when you put a battery in it, send it back. Mine kept jumping to 11:55, 3:55 or 7:55. The 12, 4 or 8 thing has to do with alignment of the hands/reference point for when it sets itself, so if it's not making it to 12, 4 or 8 then you've got a bad unit. It should sit at one of these positions until it receives the WWVB time signal, at which time it will move and set itself. Once the clock has set itself, chances are you'll need to hit the timezone button after that to get the hours right. The instructions included in the clock weren't that clear so I hope this helps. I live in North Carolina so I'm a good ways from Colorado where the signal is transmitted, but it still found it within about 30 mins during the daytime. So far the replacement clock has kept excellent time, it's very easy to read when we're outside on the patio or in the hot tub. It looks like a very expensive clock, worth way more than it costs, and the humidity and temperature is an added bonus, which seem to be very close to my weather station at home. I have mine mounted with a vinyl siding clip and it's underneath the eave of my home so it will not be exposed to direct rain or sunlight; hoping it lasts for many years to come.

Purchased same clock 12/2012 and love it. It was looking shabby so wanted a new one. It had a glitch but working still. I put the old one in my shed. Very hot and high humidity where I live, so jut wanted a new one. It's right out my back door, with large numbers, temperature and humidity. I like it changes time itself on daylight savings time cause its radio controlled.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japan considers mixing Covid-19 vaccine